[This is some seriously rough work-in-progress documentation. If you find it useful but incomplete, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let him know what should be better.]
There are multiple options for room reservation systems. Outlook Calendars, the system used in Malone Hall, and BookIt.
If you want to use BookIt:
- Tell WSE IT you want to use BookIt by making a ticket with email@example.com.
- The BookIt system is at https://bookit.jh.edu. The admin interface is at https://bookit.jh.edu/admin/home.
- You should plan your space with the LibCal_Getting_Started_Template. There is documentation information in that spreadsheet to help get you started with the terminology used in the BookIt system – web links and notes in the cells of the sheet. Maybe most importantly for the overall concept is the hierarchical nature of the system:
|1||Location||The building/area where people can book a space/seat.||Add and manage locations for space and equipment bookings|
|2||Zones||These are areas within a location, like floors or sections/wings||Add and manage a location’s zones|
|3||Categories||Custom groups for the “types of space” that can be booked||Add and manage space booking categories|
|4||Spaces||The actual spaces (w/ or without seat-level reservation)||Add, manage, or delete spaces in a category|
- Spaces in BookIt can be reserved by anyone with a JHED, so if you don’t want to share your space keep the access set to “Private” so only people with the URL can book.
- Licensing is done at the Space level, so if you have a space that is an area that has many seats (a computer lab with multiple stations, or an area of your floor with shared cubicles) create that as a space with multiple seats.