Are you getting a new computer? Here are some things you will want to consider with your manager and with Whiting IT before your order is placed.
- Mac or PC? (Not all software will work well with Macs — in particular, some administrative web applications like SAP — so consult with your department before deciding.)
- Laptop or desktop?
- What combination of performance, weight, disk capacity are important for your job? For example, laptops usually come in a choice of larger or smaller screens, so balancing weight vs usable screen space is something to consider.
- How many monitors, if any?
- Any special software (anything beyond Office)?
- If a laptop…
- Do you need a CD drive? Most do not come with a CD drive.
- Will you need an extra power brick?
- Will you need a docking station?
- Do you want or need a case? Cases are so subject to personal preferences that they are not supplied by default.
If you previously had a machine and this is a replacement or upgrade, here are some details to consider:
- What data, if any, needs to be backed up from your old machine? Collect all your data together in a directory and put that directory on a file server or in OneDrive.
- Do you need your web browser bookmarks backed up? Don’t forget them!
- What printers and network shares are you connected to on your old computer? It’s easier to figure that out before switching over.
- Did you have any shared calendar or mailbox connections set up? They’re also easier to review before switching.
- Are you switching PC to Mac? Have you checked that all the programs and websites you need to access will work?